The Idrija- Cerkljsko region is rich in culture with many places well worth a visit, here are some examples;
The Franja Partisan Hospital is located in the pasica gorge near Dolenji Novaki and Cerkno. It was run by the Yugoslav Partisans from December 1943 until the end of the II world war in May 1945. It was a well equiped hospital with operating room, X-ray facilities and hydro-electric plant. It could provide treatment for up to 120 patients at a time. Patients were blind folded whilst being transported to the hospital to keep it's location secret. The Germans made several attempts to discover the hospital none of which were successful. It was also protected by mine fields and machine guns. It's patients were of many nationalities including alied airmen and german soldiers. The founder and the first builder of the hospital was Dr. Victor Volčjak, but the hospital was named after it’s manager and physician, Franja Bojc Bidovec.
from 1st of April to 30th September every day: 9.00-18.00
from 1st of October to 31st of October every day: 9:00 to 16:00
from 1st November to 31st of March: only in the case of good weather conditions for groups
Found in the centre of Cerkno and features many historical and cultural exhibitions. Currently there is an exhibition on the historical development of the Cerkno region. An Exhibition of old farming tools and a presentation of old crafts. There is a Permanent exhibition - sales gallery "OPUS"
In 2006 it celebrated it's 50th Anniversary. Members of the Laufarija society each year make natural costumes made from leaves, pine branches, straw or moss stiched to hessian backing and wear ornate masks. The main character is the Pust who's mask is horned and wears a moss costume weighing up to 100kg. He represents winter and the old year, he is charged with a long list of crimes – bad harvest, inclement weather and lousy roads and is of course found guilty! Other characters represent crafts and trades ( the baker, the thatcher, the woodsman) whilst others have certain character traits or afflictions like the drunk, the bad boy and the sick man. This festival is held in February every year.
Divje Babe is an archeological site found in 2005 situated in the limestone caves on a steep rocky slope descending from the Šebrelje plateau down to the Idrijca river. This important stoneage archeological site contains the remains of 58 various animal species, stone and bone tools and signs of human habitation from around the last ice age.
The most notable find is a femur from a young cave bear which has 4 holes corresponding to finger intervals. This 45,000 year old flute of the Neanderthal man is the first known musical instrument.
On top of Križ and at the plateau Klavžarjeva ravana the Italian military underground forts have been well preserved. They are typical of the then border area between Italy and the former Yugoslavia. For several years the local people have put the underground fort situated at a busy location in Zakriž to good use.
also called "Pri Volarju", is located in the lower part of the village Zakojca. On the hundredth anniversary of the writer's birth a literary and historical exhibition is held. This is a typical cottage living environment at the beginning of the 20th century in the Cerkno region, also there are books, photographs and other items throwing a light upon the writer's life.
France Bevk, a writer, journalist and politician, was born on 17 September 1890 as the oldest child of a poor cottage family. He has left an indelible stamp on the history of the people in the Primorska region. Especially during the most difficult times of his life, his works built in his fellow country people national awareness and faith in a better future. His tales and novels often describe places and people under Kojca with whom he spent his childhood and youth.
Idrija is one of the oldest Slovene mining towns ,steeped in history. Idrijan attractions include the Antonijev rov mineshaft, the giant “kamšt” waterwheel, Gewerkenegg Castle, Idrija bobbin lace, and delicious “žlikrofi.” Which is a local delicacy here, there is also a Bobbin Lace Festival. The huge Kamšt dams and the wild lake are also worth a visit.
The Idrijan municiple museum is located in the castle Gewerkenegg and declared the best european museum of engineering and industrial heritage in 1997. On display is the 500 year history of the mercury mine and the town of Idrija. The collection also includes geological artefacts and a collection of Idrija bobbin lace.
Another example of mining technology which still exists is the Kamšt, gigantic spade-shaped wheels that were used to pump water from the flooded mines between 1790- 1948, the wheels of Idrija's 'kamšt' measured from 7.5 to 9.5 meters. The wheels were used to raise the ore from shafts aswell as to pump out the excess of water. By the end of the 16th century, as miners reached a depth of 200 meters, they ensured the power by constructing these huge wheels that were driven by a stream of water.
This is the second largest mercury mine in Europe and employed 1,300 miners at the height of production. Although the mine was closed in the 70's it remains open to the public as a tourist attraction. A tour of the mine includes a 20 minute audio, visual presentation before descending through galleries and passageways to a depth of 100m. The tour finishes in the tiny underground chapel where miners would pray for a safe return from their days work.
This is a typical example of an 18th century miners house with high slender frontage, steep sloping roof and small square windows. These houses were originally constructed from wood and stone with wooden shingle roofs. Each house would have 3 or 4 floors with a family living on each floor.
On the Belca River are the two remaining Klavže/dams known locally as the Slovene pyramids. These were originally constructed in the 16th century from wood but were rebuilt in stone in 1770. There purpose was to collect enough water to allow huge quantities of timber to be floated down the river to the centre of Idrija where it was used for supporting the mining galleries and for fuel for the smelting process. It was operational until 1926 and restored in the 80’s.
The lake itself is only 65m long and 30m wide, however it is fed by an underground passage believed to be about 200m long. The lake has claimed the lives of several divers attempting to locate the lakes yet undiscovered source, to date 156m is the deepest anyone has gone. Flowing from the lake is Slovenia’s shortest river (The Jezernica) which flows into the Idrijca after only 55m. Surrounding the lake are impressive 100m high cliffs whose ledges and crevices are home to a wide range of alpine plants.
The former workshops contain a collection of beautifully restored 19th century steam-driven pumps, boilers and compressors.
Cycling packages, half board allready from 28,50€ on...A holiday at 1300 m above sea level...Check and visit inspiring Cerkljanska region....
Sign up for our newsletter and receive new offers on email.
Visit our Hotel Cerkno Facebook page, where you can follow our news, offers and see fun contents.
Hotel Cerkno d.o.o.
Sedejev trg 8
5282 Cerkno - Slovenija
T: + 386 5 37 43 400,
F: + 386 5 37 43 433